Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, better known as Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and the 11th President of India, died on 27th July 2015 after suffering from a massive cardiac arrest. He collapsed during a lecture he was giving at IIM Shillong. Dr. Kalam was not just a scientist, a reluctant politician and the Missile Man of India but also a person who had inspired the old and young alike with his thoughts. A humble man with humble thoughts, given below are 11 such quotes by him that many live by today and in years to come.
For young people
- My message, especially to young people is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards.
- For great men, religion is a way of making friends; small people make religion a fighting tool.
- Science is global. Einstein’s equation E=mc2 has to reach everywhere. Science is a beautiful gift to humanity. We should not distort it. Science does not discriminate between multiple races.
On Capital punishment
- One of the more difficult tasks for me as President was to decide on the issue of confirming capital punishment awarded by courts… to my surprise… almost all cases which were pending had a social and economic bias. This gave me an impression that we were punishing the person who was least involved in the enmity and who did not have a direct motive for committing the crime.
- I’m not a handsome guy, but I can give my hand to someone who needs help. Beauty is in the heart, not in the face.
For the dreams
- Dream, Dream, Dream. Dream transforms in to thoughts. And thoughts result in action.
- Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.
- Life is a difficult game. You can win it only by retaining your birthright to be a person.
The talents we have
- All of us do not have equal talent. But , all of us have an equal opportunity to develop our talents.
To win or to lose
- It is very easy to defeat someone, but it is very hard to win someone
- If you want to shine like a sun. First burn like a sun.
- Man needs his difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy success.